Monday, June 15, 2015

A Lesson In Grace

Colossians 4:6  “Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.”













When my granddaughters spent the weekend a few weeks ago, four year old Kennedy watched intently as I knitted the final rows on a prayer shawl I was making.  As soon as the yarn and shawl were placed in the basket, she cozied up in my lap to finish watching a movie before bedtime.  Holding her little stuffed dog up for me to see, she asked if I could knit a blanket for him.  Well, of course this Nana was up for that task.  


This little granddaughter of ours loves super heroes. The bulk of her wardrobe consists of t-shirts with Spiderman, Ninja Turtles and other hero characters.   No princesses or ballerinas for her.  She will don the occasional dress, at her mom’s insistence, when the occasion calls for dressing up, but nothing flashy or ruffled or flouncy.  Plain and simple, and neutral in color.  So, it did not come as a surprise when she said she wanted her dog’s blanket to be black and blue.  

When we visited the following week, Kennedy asked if the blanket was finished.  Before I pulled the blanket from my knitting bag, I decided to tease her a little.  “It is almost done.  I will knit the last four rows today and you can watch.  You did say you wanted pink and white, didn’t you?,” I taunted. 

An almost imperceptible flash of disappointment crossed her face, but she was quick to catch herself, nodding in agreement.  Of course, I hastened to reveal the blue and black almost completed blanket, much to her relief and delight.   That tender moment, however, when she quickly masked her disappointment so as not to hurt my feelings, this little girl chose concern and kindness to me over expressing her disappointment.  

She chose......  

How often do I choose grace when my plans are interrupted?  When my expectations or needs are not met?   When someone has hurt me?   It does not come naturally.   It takes purposeful action.   It means not interrupting when my elderly neighbor tells me the same story over and over.  It is choosing forgiveness when someone I love disappoints or hurts me.  It is saying a prayer for the person in the car that pulls out in front of me.  It is being kind when I would rather lash out.

Choices.  

Grace.  

Natural?  No.  Easy?  Definitely not.  Not on our own, that is.  But with God’s help, we can learn to choose grace.      

By the way, Kennedy's middle name......is Grace.  

Be blessed,
     lynda

Thank you, Lord, for using the innocence of a child to remind me of your grace, which is perfect, and of which I am so unworthy.  Help me to show kindness and grace to others, as you have done to me.  Amen.

Kennedy writing a note to her dog, Dempsey.

I am entering this ZIA in the 30 Day Coloring Challenge on www.thedailymarker.blogspot.com .


2 comments:

  1. Your card is so lovely and love the zentangle. Thank you so much for participating in The 30 Day Coloring Challenge and I hope you will be up for the next one.
    Kathy/The Daily Marker

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie kid! My nickname is Grace. Mom gave it to me as a joke, because I was born clumsy! grin!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave any comments or questions, and I will get back to you.