Sunday, June 28, 2015

Stars and Stripes


"First, I tell you to pray for all people, asking God for what they need and being thankful to him.  Pray for rulers and for all who have authority so that we can have quiet and peaceful lives full of worship and respect for God.  This is good, and it pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to know the truth."  
1 Timothy 2:1-4

In just a few days,  we Americans will be celebrating our freedom on the 4th of July,  Independence Day.  People will gather for picnics and barbeques.  Fireworks will light up the skies around the country.  Patriotic songs will be sung in churches.   Prayers will be offered for our beloved country, and our country's leaders.

In the above reading, the Apostle Paul instructs Timothy how to lead the church.  His very first instruction is to pray for all people.   The first assignment of the church is prayer.   Today's church continues to prioritize prayer.  We pray for our president and vice-president, and for our government and local officials.  We pray for a peaceful society, where we can worship and where respect and justice can flourish.

I am so very proud to be an American.  I believe we live in the greatest country on earth.  Yes, I sometimes disagree with decisions and actions from our officials.  But I do what I can.  I earnestly research candidates, and vote at elections.  I participate in signing petitions where I feel there is injustice.   Most importantly, I pray.  I pray that God will lead our president and congress members; that the Holy Spirit will guide and inspire them; and that citizens will do their part to help insure our country will remain our "sweet land of liberty."  

As I watch my grandchildren march in their school parades and children take part in patriotic assemblies this time of year, I think about what kind of country we will leave them.   Enlightened or ignorant, we do have a choice!  What choices can we make to help ensure America's future?

Won't you join me this week in praying for our country? 
"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray...then I will hear from heaven."  II Chron. 7:14 

Be blessed,
     lynda

My zentangle tile today contains the tangle patterns meer, printemps, arukas, and aura knot.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave any comments or questions, and I will get back to you.